President Kim gave an overview of the proceedings of the District Conference. Major points he made were:
• The RI representative was former RI President Bill Boyd who was most impressive
• The Main Key note Speaker was the editor of the Westralian who advised that pictures had a much greater impact than words.
• 70 countries have now received Shelter Boxes
• Interest in Youth Exchange is strong with 35 students inbound this year. A good trend is that former exchange students are now joining Rotary.
• A outbound GSE team who are all aboriginal is going to Fiji
• Presentation given by the Peace Scholar was excellent
• RC of Kunnanurra has grown from 8 to 40 members. This has mainly been due to a proactive program to encourage women to join the club and participation in events like 100 women who walked 100 KM to raise funds.
• Bill Boyd gave a great speech (No notes) Significant points:
• RI Foundation to focus on Polio; Water; Literacy and Education.
• Rotary must move with the times, need to look at out dated traditions; frequency and form of meetings (maybe no meal) keep costs down; dress (Less formal); ask young members what they want and listen to them. Let them write the rules. Use of the Webb and face book is the future means of communication
A good conference with some interesting speakers. Next conference is in Kalgoorlie.